Why "India Outside India"?

Since I came to NYC I have been trying to capture for the benefit of my international friends what is ‘India’ or ‘Indianness’. We have discussed various facets of Indian people, culture, ways of meaning making and what it means to live as an Indian. It was also interesting when my international friends shared what they thought being Indian was/must be like for me. I have been capturing visuals that I thought express non-Indians’ perceptions about India and also the expressions/visuals shared by the Indian community in US that must be shaping this perception. After a year of gathering images and talking in my head about it I thought why not put it all down in a blog.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Swastika Part II

(Imported from Musings)
As mentioned in the previous post, I have been trying to spread the word offline and online. A few of those efforts were met with encouraging reactions from some american students. For example, a TC student was happy to receive information about the Indian Swastika and the way we use it in daily life. She also volunteered to talk about it with a friend in the student senate so that it can be handled at a macro level. I also wrote a comment on the public scribbling board made available during the unrest in TC in the main lobby.

I asked a question regarding spreading information about Swastika on Yahoo Answers. It received  mixed responce. Here is the link to the QA:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ate.S03nXLZHNxWLaKSoIxnsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20071109171936AAsU3xV

I will keep updating this post as and when I get more feedback

1 comment:

Sarah Siegel said...

It was a bit disorienting for me when we lived in India for six months -- seeing a swastika as a positive symbol on trucks and fences, given my frame of reference as a Jew whose parents were alive during the Holocaust, albeit, living in the U.S. then.

When I kept telling myself that for India, it was a good symbol, it helped....